American History Research Paper Ideas: The Top 15 Topics to Explore
Students who study American history often have to prepare research papers. Though there are many potential topics to explore, many students have trouble trying to figure out what they want to write their papers about. Remember that you should be interested in learning more about the chosen subject. After you’ve selected your topic, you can start planning, doing research, and writing your draft.
To get inspired, you should study the fifteen following great American history research paper ideas:
- The U.S. as the only country which used nuclear weapons in war: the long-lasting consequences.
- Hurricane Katrina as one of the deadliest natural disasters in the modern U.S. history: the main lessons to learn.
- A series of domestic programs to counter the Great Depression introduced by Franklin D. Roosevelt: the stories of success and failure.
- The 18th Amendment: why did it fail to reach the intended goal of reduction alcohol consumption the country?
- The “War on Drugs” program introduced by President Reagan: the main accomplishments and failures.
- The civil rights movements in 1950-1960s in the Southern states: the fight against racial discrimination and segregation.
- The effects of the 9/11 attacks on the military policy of the U.S. in the beginning of the 21st century.
- The Bill of Rights as a founding document for self-government in the U.S.
- The U.S. Constitution and the first ten amendments: the establishment of federal government powers.
- The similarities and differences between the causes and effects of the Great Depression and the 2008 economic crisis on the American economy.
- The Civil War between 1861 and 1865 as an inevitable event caused by differences in economic and social development in the Northern and Southern states.
- California Gold Rush: the forgotten history of the gold mining industry.
- History of the insurance industry in the U.S.: ethical issues and potential solutions.
- Impacts of trade unions in terms of economic development.
- The role of immigrants in the cultural diversity of the U.S.: a case study of Irish in America.
The research paper topic suggestions provided above are different, so every student can find something to write about. However, you can also search for sample American history ideas on the Web. Remember to do a fast literature research to ensure that you have enough materials to develop a strong assignment and then get your idea approved by the supervisor before starting working on it.